In a world filled with computations we can’t expect everything to go normal. Things go wrong sometimes. The reason may be an internal source or an external source. Data breaches have increased in numbers year by year. Measures have been taken by every company to prevent the data breach and the criminals find a better way to get access to the company. The information accessed by the hackers include mostly names, date of birth, social security numbers and sometimes credit card or debit card numbers.
Data breaches can occur due to many reasons like hackers gaining access to the information or losing a device which has unencrypted information. It is always better to prevent than to cure.
Let us look into some ways to prevent data security breaches.
1. Protect Information: Sensitive information must be protected wherever it is stored sent or used. Do not reveal personal information inadvertently.
2. Reduce transfer of data: The organisation should ban shifting data from one device to another external device. Losing removable media will put the data on the disk under risk.
3. Restrict download: Any media that may serve as an allegiance to the hackers should be restricted to download. This could reduce the risk of transferring the downloadable media to an external source.
4. Shred files: The organisation should shred all the files and folder before disposing a storage equipment. There are application which can retrieve information after formatting.
5. Ban unencrypted device: The institution should have a ban on the device that are unencrypted. Laptops and other portable devices that are unencrypted are prone to attack.
6. Secure transfer: The use of secure courier services and tamper proof packaging while transporting bulk data will help in preventing a breach.
7. A good password: The password for any access must be unpredictable and hard to crack. Change of password from time to time
8. Automate security: Automating systems that regularly check the password settings, server and firewall configuration might bring about reduction of risk in the sensitive information.
9. Identify threats: The security team should be able to identify suspicious network activity and should be prepared if there is an attack from the network.
10. Monitor data leakage: Periodically checking security controls will allow the security team to have a control on the network. Regular check on internet contents to locate if any private data is available for public viewing is also a good measure to monitor data.
11. Track data: Tracking the motion of data within the organisational network will prevent any unintentional use of sensitive information.
12. Define accessibility: Defining accessibility to those who are working on company’s sensitive data will bring down the risk of malicious users.
13. Security training: Providing privacy and security training to all employees, clients and others related to data related activities will bring about awareness on data breach.
14. Stop incursion: Shutting down the avenues to the company’s warehouse will prevent incursions by the hacker. Management, production and security solutions must be combined to prevent the targeted attacks.
15. Breach response: Having a breach response plan will help in triggering quick response to data breaches and help in the reduction of harm. The plan could contain steps involving notification of the concerned staff or the agency who could contain the breach.